Susanna Haas Lyons has 15 years’ experience, designing and facilitating in both face-to-face and online environments. Here she generously shares her knowledge of multiple tools, as well as expressing her deep concern about how best to achieve equity and include diverse input, as well as building civic capacity.
Links for resources mentioned by Susanna:
- National Issues Forum
- Common Ground for Action Online Forums
- Digital Engagement Social Media & Public Participation IAP2 Canada white paper written by Susanna Haas Lyons
- Public Participation Technology in a Time of social distancing slides and webinar recording
- IAP2 Canada June 8-11, 2020: Social Media and Public Participation: How to design and host effective digital public engagement, online course
- Digital Public Engagement Tools, collaborative in-progress list of digital tools.
- Digital Engagement Design Variables
Susanna Haas Lyons is a civic engagement specialist. She designs participation strategies, facilitates complex meetings, and provides training for better conversations between the public and decision-makers. Bridging online and face-to-face methods, she has worked for over 18-years on large and complex citizen and stakeholder engagement projects across North America. Susanna teaches for SFU’s Dialogue and Civic Engagement certificate program and the Justice Institute of BC’s Center for Leadership. She is also a judge for Canada’s International Association for Public Participation (IAP2) annual awards that recognize excellence and innovation in public participation.