The parliamentary vote on same sex marriage is likely to be defeated, and the Prime Minister is advocating a range of options for what comes next.
One is a national plebiscite on the issue at the next election. This would only be the third in Australia’s history.
Is this a more democratic process than elected representatives making decisions for us?
Listen to the Inverview HERE
- James Cahill, Researcher at Democracy Renewal, University of Melbourne
- Peter Back, Senior Lecturer in Constitutional Law, Queensland University of Technology
- Lyn Carson, Director and co-founder of New Democracy Foundation and Professor at the University of Sydney
- Presenter, Jonathan Green
- Producer, Serpil Senelmis